Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Speak.

I was going to start off with maybe

But today I am going to take command of the audience

I’ll stand on my soap box

And keep my ear to the streets

I’ll speak what they whisper when ain’t no body is around

Today I’ll tell you what my children cry about at night

Tears that concrete faces deny them from shedding

because they were taught that respect lingers in others fears

so these are the tears

that keep the grass growing in the grave yards

Because here at 6th N Ferry

Nobody ever sleeps peacefully

the dead walks with the living

With crack bags and pistols

Waving stacks of dollar bills

To lure the children into thinking dirty money will last

not knowing the pigs will take half

of Your stack or your life

serving 15 to 20 in the grown up Pen at 16

while they go and purchase bigger houses with ur cash


SO YES

Today I am going to take command

Of the crowd

Who I will refer to as The People

Because we have written ourselves into the

Documents that once denied us

so "We The People" means more than what they could have imagined


I will tell The People what We already know

But have been forbidden to speak; to think; to dream up

And from my mouth will escape their words

And we will curse the heavens

For the shit that has been done to us

And ask God where He was when that one girl was shot

Or where He was when momma had to go down to the truck stops

But we will gratefully thank him for his mercy upon us because our sins are countless and

We will thank him for The food that somehow made it to our tables today….


Today we will take command of the crowd

The babies will rise up and speak

in tongues only understand by The People

who have been convinced that Dreams are Illegal in the Ghettos

The babies will speak

Of stories that mimic the lives of

Refugees and veterans, of POW's, citizens of 3rd world countries

They will spit

to the beat Of the gunshot rhythm of the pistols

That they carry in their diapers....


And somehow between babies speaking, me crying, and the people yelling

I figure that we will be rescued

Because if someone sees this they will care

their ears will be convicted to listen and there body to move in a way that will change

our conditions

They will care enough to rescue us from what they put us into

They will care enough...

so we wait.

Freedom♥

--Kameale Terry

I have always been convinced that those who are privileged will never rescue the poor. However, I am also starting to see that sometimes we are taught to wait to be rescued. Such as waiting on the government to give us things, change things for the better. But what I have learned is that once you rely upon those who are ignorant to your experiences and can not understand why drug dealing will beat out starvation on any day, you begin to hope for something that is not fathomable. I believe that The People must rally their selves and not be convinced that a rescuing boat is coming....

No comments: