Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Dear oppressor

Dear oppressor,

Please stand still while I have my way with you
Hold that posture
As I sculpt you into granite
And create for you a frozen stone planet that only you and your kind could inhabit

Don’t even blink
Lest I remember that you are flesh and blood
And not barbed wire woven into a clockwork system
With an automatic timer set to mangle its victims

Don’t smile or cry
Do not look me in the eye
Or I might recall that once you were a child so weak
And that your beauty left your mother void of speech

Don’t let your body speak
Do not let your stomach growl
Or I’ll start to think that from this earth you and I both eat
And that you are not just a robot or a slab of concrete beneath my own very human feet

Don’t even breathe
I forbid any display of being weak
For I might recognize your precarious life
Or consider that you have a story and are a sister, a son, a father, and wife

Dear oppressor,
As I protest for human rights
And raise my fist so high
Let me forget that we are fashioned of the same clay
Let me strip you of your humanity
Hating you is so much easier this way


With a fool's hope,
Bethany Lauren Grigsby

6 comments:

AK said...

Bethany, I like this one a lot more than I can quite comprehend right now. Especially in light of this SGA stuff going on.

THANK YOU.

It reminds me of a few talks Fall '08 about "liberating the oppressor," and humanizing THEM again.

Brilliant.

Kaitlin McGarvey said...

Bethany,
This is beautiful and powerful and real. I feel that re-humanizing those that we hate is a great stride towards sustainable change. i don't really know what to say other than, thank you.

dory said...

YES.
sor bete, esto es bello, no por ser poema y por ser creativo sino por ser cierto y doloroso al pensar que esta es la realidad. por mas que querramos quitarle la humanidad al opresor, el/ella la tiene, la tiene bien plasmada y mientras luchamos para ser tratados humanamente se nos olvida que la luchamos contra humanos y no maquinas de destruccion.

amen, hermana, el convento le aplaude.

Rod said...

yes. thank you sor bete.

Christin said...

lovely writing and bravely counter-intuitive content. I haven't heard anyone voice this message. thank you.

Abbie said...

beautiful, in the way true things are beautiful. this feels so real