Tuesday, October 6, 2009

a night walk

My time in India was approaching the end. For weeks I had been surrounded by women with terror stories to share about their male counterparts in society. Dowry, domestic abuse, female infanticide, rape, child sexual abuse, lack of education, assault in politics and beatings by joint family members were the common themes weaving together the lives of women throughout India. From the moment I stepped off the plane in Mumbai I was told a list of precautions to take and rules to follow, the most important being never walk alone at night.

While I had yet to have any particularly negative encounters with men in India I was growing to dislike many of them. I have always considered myself a generally open minded person, a person who didn’t judge a person based on his/her appearance, yet I found myself staring and questioning the character of the men I walked by solely because they were male and Indian. This is far from one of the proudest things I could ever admit, but my academic research (the effect of the 73rd amendment on the treatment of women in rural communities and thus the overall development of these communities), my internship (working at a women’s documentation and research center interviewing men and women about the rights of women in Pune as well as researching various abuses to women throughout Maharastra), and the stories my thirty female roommates shared with me about their lives and treatment by men left me very overwhelmed and frustrated with the male population in India. How could all of these abuses persist? How could they be so integrated to the religious, political, and societal trends throughout Indian history and contemporary life?

I knew that I didn’t want to judge every Indian man on the basis of our anatomical differences, and I was fully aware that I was becoming more judgmental than I ever want to be, so I worked on destroying any judgments or negative thoughts that may pass through my mind. I knew that I had met many kind Indian men and it was wrong to categorize all people of a particular group as having the same negative characteristics. I, after all, didn’t want to be deemed and obnoxious, ignorant, loud American before someone spoke to me, so it would be wrong of me to do the same to another group of people.

As I said before it was one of my last weeks in Pune. It was dark and I was walking home alone. As I approached Sinhgad road I could hear loud speakers and men shouting in what seemed to my ears no discernable rhythmic pattern. As soon as I turned on the road I could see traffic was at a standstill and stages were set up on both sides of the road with music blaring so loud the entire street and three-story high slum structures were shaking. Groups of men were huddled around the stages and seemed to be celebrating something as entire street reeked of cheap alcohol. Mobs, as it appeared to me, of men were jumping and shouting to the music while punching the night sky and waving tattered flags, which added some sort of organized flow to this image of chaos.

From this point it was about a thirteen-minute walk to my hostel on a normal (non-celebration) day. I knew looking at the scene before me that this would be a much longer walk, and I knew at that moment that it would probably be a slightly more interesting, for lack of a better word, walk than normal especially because there were no other women in sight. The thought of hailing a rickshaw passed through my mind, but traffic was at a halt as people were dancing on their parked vehicles and trucks were stopped with their doors wide open allowing the contribution of the drivers’ taste of music to the thunder of noise already consuming the street. It also appeared that most rickshaws were abandoned on the side of the street while their drivers made up a portion of the moshing men ahead of me.

There wasn’t much I could do at this point. I needed to get home, and I was trying to view the Indian man in a more positive light, so I was praying this walk would prove to me there was no need to worry or judge population of India who possess a penis. No need to give into the recently forming stereotypes I had of Indian men.

Within a couple yards of my walk I was approaching a small stage with about thirty jumping, shouting, dancing men, surrounding it. I was trying to think, “wow it’s really nice that they can come together and celebrate tonight,” rather than, “wow, I wonder where their wives are. Blast, I really hate the behavior of drunken men.” Within no time at all a man grabbed me and flung me into the center of the crowd.

Everything happened rather quickly. I mean in retrospect it did, but at the time it felt I would be stuck in that circle for the rest of my life, which I really wasn’t too overjoyed thinking about. I was trying to figure out what to do. I had been in semi-similar situations in other countries at various times, but this situation was different than those experiences. For one, in all the other situations I could speak the same language as the people complicating my life, so on a couple occasions a witty comment in another language would startle a person or two, as I don’t look like I should know how to speak Lingala or Isizulu. In this situation I didn’t speak Marathi and even if I could no one would be able to hear me. Another thing, this was the first time such a large group was interfering with my day. I had done enough work and research to know that if I tried to fight free, or punch one of the men, the other ones would literally kill me without hesitation. I’m just one girl, and they are thirty or so men. I knew that the only way I would be able to get out of this situation would be through the intervention of a person other than myself, which I was beginning to doubt would happen considering I was in the middle of this group and not a single one of them seemed slightly concerned about my well-being.

While I prayed and waited for someone to help me, my body was being thrashed around. Men were on all sides of me, pulling me in every direction, squeezing everything they could grab a hold of. I wasn’t entirely sure what was happening because all I could see were hands reaching for me and mouths aimed for my face. My hair was being pulled, my limbs being stretched, and some men were trying to rip my cloths off while others were trying to kiss me. Anytime I would try to turn my head away or wiggle out of the awkward positions and places I was, someone would hit my head or slap me in an attempt to get me to stay in place.

While all this was happening I was beginning to get pretty hopeless and quite disgusted by Indian men. I didn’t understand why not one of the men there was opposing this behavior and why no one was coming to help. At this point my body hurt and I had no idea what would happen next. Suddenly a man was walking by and somehow saw me unable to defend myself consumed by this crowd of men. He walked in and grabbed one of my arms trying to pull me out. His attempt was failed as there were so many men on the opposite arm resisting his efforts, so he resorted to punching a couple of them, then picked me up and put me on the street. He shouted towards me to run and made sure none of the men came after me. Here was a miracle. An Indian man who came to my rescue and risked his well being to help out my stupid self after I had made the mistake of ignoring the numerous warnings not to walk home alone, especially at dark.

I made it a couple more meters down the street when I was suddenly flung to the ground. A man had grabbed my purse from behind me and pulled it back so forcefully that my entire body gave into his yank, and I found myself struggling to get up from the dirty road. He started to choke me then grabbed my arm and pulled me toward him, squeezing my face so hard it felt he may puncture a hole through my cheek. He was trying to force his tongue down my throat and for a couple seconds I was able to resist, but when he finally succeeded he tasted the same as the other men. They all tasted like alcohol, the same cheap liquor that also contributed to the anger that led to abuse for so many Indian women. One of his hands began to go up my shirt while the other kept a grip on my face and I began to feel a connection to so many of the women I had listened to. Not that this experience was even a fraction of what those women live with for years on end, but this was a woman’s husband. This man would go home and do the same thing to his wife, possibly a girl even younger than me. If I was scared right now, I couldn’t imagine what it would be like to live with this on a daily basis. I couldn’t imagine being trapped in a cycle of abuse and oppression by such a man.

Again too weak to get out of this situation, all I could do was pray and wait for someone to help me. By this point I was farther down the road than I had begun, obviously, which meant there weren’t many people around because most of the people on the street were near the stages. Luckily, before things got too out of control, another man came and punched this guy so that he let go of me. I began to wander down the street completely dazed and confused, but grateful for the man who had just appeared, when the man that had flung me to the ground came sprinting after me and grabbed me again,. This resulted in yet another series of sloppy undesired kisses. Thankfully the man who had punched him saw this and ran after him, holding him away from me long enough for me to get a safe distance away. Again an Indian man had come to my aid when I was in this negative situation because of my own choice to walk home alone at dark. A completely innocent man risked his safety to help me break free from a terrible predicament.

As I was walking another man came to me and held onto my arm. His grasp was much different than the other ones I’d encountered earlier on my walk. It was a gentle one, one offering protection, yet I pulled my arm free and moved away from this man. Despite the fact two men had already helped me that night, I was still deterred from being too close to any Indian man because of my encounters with the more violent men that night. This man was trying to ask me where I was going, and I knew enough Marathi to respond, so I did, but I kept my distance. I was skeptical, even though there was something about him I felt was safe. My mind wasn’t strong enough to get over my hesitation of Indian men at this moment. He noticed I remained a safe distance from him and he didn’t try to break that distance. He walked several feet to the left of me the whole way back home, watching out for me to ensure I’d be okay. He did all this, and yet I was still timid around him because he was male and Indian. What a terrible thing I did to him. I categorized him as one of them. One of the men who had hurt me. One of the men that hurt their wives and daughters. How wrong of me.

I didn’t tell anyone about this because I didn’t want it to be a big deal. I knew I shouldn’t have been walking alone and I knew me telling someone would just cause a lot of ruckus when there was nothing that could be done. I suppose had I known who the men were I would be able to press charges and have them arrested, but beyond the fact I would never be able to recognize all the faces of the men who had attacked me, I wouldn’t want to do this. So many women face the same treatment and worse daily, yet because they are Indian women, and not white women like myself, police officers never reprimand their abusers. Also, I had learned enough about the prison system to know that had I been able to identify one of the men and decided to have him arrested he would have been severely beat up by the police who arrested him and he would have been prohibited from working in whatever sector he was currently working. This would mean his family would have no source of income considering it is significantly more difficult for women to get jobs and many men don’t allow their wives to work. If I were to arrest him, his entire family would suffer. His children who couldn’t choose to be born, and his wife who most likely didn’t choose to marry him. I couldn’t do that to her, to the woman I never would meet.

The next morning I walked, again alone but in daylight, to meet a friend for breakfast. The restaurant was on the same street where the previous nights’ encounters happened. As I walked by the places where I had met those men I felt sick. At one point I was afraid I was going to collapse, and my whole body still ached. With a scarf around my neck and long sleeves and pants to cover any marks I made it to the restaurant. I sat down and listened to the conversation two of my friends were having. My mind couldn’t focus on their words. I was sitting with my face directed towards the street. I was watching a man emaciated by a system of caste and class oppression as he smashed rocks. Sweat was dripping into his eyes, and my eyes were cemented on him. He pulled a dirty cloth from his pants to wipe his eyes and his glance met my stare. He was one of them. One of the men from the night before.

This man was a poor slave to the system, desperate for liberation. He was helpless and my heart broke. Everything in me began to ache, not from the bruises and scratches, but from a deep feeling of sadness. This man was not a bad man, he was a man who didn’t know how to live because his days didn’t make a life of growth and development, rather they made a series of redundant battles that kept him trapped into this hell of poverty, disease, corruption, hard labor, forced marriage, absence of education, and a cycle of oppression his children will also face as they have the same last name as him, and are born into the same backward caste. The only time his voice is heard is when he uses it to lash out against his wife. He has no power, no authority, over any other being than her. Standing atop a pile of rocks that needed to be broken apart stood a robust man in a suit, puffing on a cigar, glaring down at him. The man in the suit directed some harsh sounding statement to the man with the sweat filled eyes, and as his head lowered so he could again begin to pick under the blazing sun he spoke to me with his eyes, and at that moment I realized maybe it wasn’t sweat in his eyes, maybe they were tears. He was working for his children, working for food, working for something he didn’t understand and he was desperate for something he may never taste…freedom and hope.

He remedied my heart and my issues of stereotyping and hating Indian men. I remembered all people are good; it’s just a matter of revealing this in the world around us.

peace and love

11 comments:

Bethany Lauren Grigsby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bethany Lauren Grigsby said...

Wow, I'm really struggling to find words to respond to this. I seldom read anything that leaves me with quite the feeling that I now have. Thank you for sharing your story. Thank you for for reminding me of the humanity of those who abuse others and to remember the abuse that has been aflicted upon them. You SAW him for more than what he did to you, and I can only hope to love in that way. This was beautiful...and not in spite of brokenness but I think because of it.

Mateo Regueiro said...

Kaitlin,

Thank you again for sharing this. Though I know this is not the central theme of your post I am curious as to where this experience leaves you on your understanding of justifiable violence? As you know i used to be of the persuasion that no violence is justified, that all violence works to perpetuate a cycle of violence.

Lately I have come to believe that violence is justifiable, sometimes (when and where I am not entirely sure). In your story I am glad that that guy came to punch the other guy. This was clearly an act of violence and in my mind it was clearly justified. I am curious to hear your thoughts on this.

Con un abrazo,

mateo

Nuestras Voces Authors said...

Matt~ I'm not entirely sure what I think about justifiable violence, it's something I've often debated. I remember when I was in South Africa I studied a little bit about Nelson Mandela's organization MK. He said he began to see that when you are dealing with a violent oppressive force the only thing they listen to is violence, it's the only thing they understand, which is why so many liberation movements involve violence. I hate to think that's true, but how long should the innocent endure violence? Would it be better to end the violence against so many, by attacking a few oppressors (whoever they may be)? I'm not sure.

I know that my situation in India didn't clarify anything for me. I don't know what happened to the man who intervened on my behalf the first time. I don't know if he was hurt, which makes me feel pretty sick. If he was hurt then what was the point? If he wouldn't have intervened the other man wouldn't have been punched, and that man wouldn't have been hurt. Even if he was fine, it was hard for me to see someone else get punched, even though it was someone who was hurting me, because I made a stupid decision to walk alone at night.

I think it's easier for me to be okay with violence on someone else's behalf. For instance, if I were to see another woman in that mess, I would be glad that someone was punched because it seems much less severe than what could have happened to the woman if she couldn't get out. But when i think of myself I wonder at what cost should someone be hurt on my behalf, what makes me deserve to be physically safer than another human being?

I guess all in all, I'm not sure where i stand on the issue of justified violence, but if you have any answers, please let me know!
~Kaitlin

Mateo Regueiro said...

"it was hard for me to see someone else get punched, even though it was someone who was hurting me, because I made a stupid decision to walk alone at night."

Kaitlin,

These quote saddens me. The man getting punched wasn't your fault. Even though both of you were operating within a system of patriarchy that has informed him to believe that he is justified in 'taking what he wants' from women there was still his personal choice to act violently towards you. In the same way the man that intervened had the same choice and, in my opinion, used violence successfully and justly to counter an evil us of it.

I guess what saddens me about your quote is that it is so quick to put the blame on you and so slow to protect the man from the wrong he committed. Last night Dore, Abbie, and I were talking about how this is another manifestation of our patriarchal system. A women comes out with the fact that she was hurt by a man and people either think that she is lying or that she asked for it.

You walking at night does not give the men the right to do what they did. You clearly communicated through your actions that you did not want to be in that situation. Yet, they nonetheless acted to oppress you not just once but multiple times.

This was not your fault. These were oppressive acts of selfish men that cannot blame these actions entirely on the greater system that oppresses them. In that action, as in their regular acts of violence against their wives and daughters, there was a personal choice involved.

AK said...

When I saw this post and its length, I decided to save it until I would have time to read it in its entirety, and I'm glad I did. What an intense experience. And while I read, my thoughts were centered around the idea of the world and the way it is, and what it means to live differently. Especially in light of Matt's comments regarding justifiable violence. I don't know how to believe in violence, but I also don't know how to counter a mob who, like you said in reference to Mandela, only understands violence. In a mob, the self is lost and responding as an individual no longer works.

Concerning "that's just how the world is," and obeying the rules that kind of doctrine dictates, like not walking alone at night, I agree absolutely with Matt that people choose to contribute to how things are, and that it's not your fault.

Thanks for this. Made me think a lot.

Kaitlin McGarvey said...

Thank you, all three of you, for your support and interest in the entry.

Matt, I know that I should be able to walk alone at night without confrontation like this. I know that the system of patriarchy is at fault, and it's not my personal fault that someone was punched etc. I know all this because it's what I've been taught. What people have told me, what i've observed, what i've read...what i really believe.

Especially at the organization i worked at while in India we were working on changing the systems, empowering the women so they knew they had rights they weren't granted and could make strides forward in achieving such rights, and educating men on similar issues so that this hold patriarchy has on society would be broken. I remember talking to women and listening to their stories of abuse and how sad it made me when i heard them say things like, "well, if i had done this differently it wouldn't have happened." My boss would always say it shouldn't be like that. She'd say society should reach the point when a woman could walk around in a bikini at all hours of night and not have a single man do anything to her, say anything derogatory to her, or feel worried about her well being as she walked.

If another person were in my situation I would definitely tell them the things you are telling me, however when i think about that night and those men and myself, it's hard for me to put the responsibility on them and the system. i know it's not rational, but it's something i'm trying to figure out and work through.

Abbie said...

I wonder, too, about the justification of violence in such situations.

I remember reading Mandela's conclusion that violence is the only language the oppressor understands. But I also believe addressing the oppressor on his terms keeps the power structure intact.

Still, when you were telling me this story, Kaitlin, all I could think about was a violent response. The act of a man "rescuing" you, which would normally perturb me, seems quite appropriate in the situation. You were not in a societal or physical situation to effectivly defend yourself, and this man's societal and physical power were necessary to remove you from the situation. While his ability to do so may have been based on the same power structures that enabled the assault, his actions also subverted the specific power dynamic enabling your attackers.

Maybe I overanalyze, or dehumanize, the situation too much. These men were violating your humanity, and someone saw that was wrong and used the only power available to him to stop it.

But, I do validate your confusion Kaitlin. As much as I unflinchingly agree with Matt's rehtoric here, I know it's not always easy to apply such things to yourself.

Mateo Regueiro said...

With all this in mind what do you all feel about women's self-defense classes?

AK said...

I tend to believe it shows violence as the savior still, although the context influences the extent of this. In a setting like India, it seems (SEEMS) appropriate, but in a setting that has lower power distance, like the US, it seems like the simplest, and laziest, way out.

What about preventive classes for women? That perhaps teach women to recognize the indicators of an abusive man before they get intimate with him, or give something similar to counseling, so that women who grew up with abusive male figures don't attach themselves in maturity to more abusive male figures for affection.

Mateo Regueiro said...

wait wait wait...I think I misunderstood your words.

What does, "In a setting like India, it seems appropriate, but in a setting that has lower power distance, like the US, it seems like the simplest, and laziest, way out."

I don't understand why it is appropriate in one and not the other. I don't know what you mean by "lower power distance" (never heard that phrase before but sounds like something I should know).

Are you assuming the state of all people in the US is? How does this make them lazy?